Dryer Vent Cleaning Downers Grove: Dryer Vent Cleaning to Save Money, Your Home, Your Life!

Dryer Vent Cleaning Downers Grove: Dryer vent cleaning is so important; yet often neglected by homeowners and business with clothes dryers. Over 15,000 dryer fires are reported annually, with failure to clean dryer vents being the number one cause. Professional dryer vent cleaning is recommended at least once a year to prevent dryer fires and to keep your dryer working efficiently.

Your dryer vent system removes heat, moisture and lint from laundry as it tumbles dry. Poorly vented dryers, or improperly installed dryer vent systems will restrict air flow and prevent the heat and moisture from escaping. This will cause the dryer to run longer and hotter, drastically increasing energy consumption and eventually leading to a serious fire hazard.

Contrary to popular belief, the dryer vent system does not send all the lint to the dryer vent outside. About 60% of the lint from your laundry is trapped in the lint screen. Where does the other 40% go? Unfortunately, most of it ends up in the dryer cabinet or trapped in your dryer ducts, where it builds up and creates problems. Lint build-up restricts air flow required for the dryer to perform its job. As the dryer labors to dry your laundry, it consumes more energy. Poorly maintained dryer vent systems can result in spending an additional $18 – 24 per month on utility bills.

When your dryer duct is clogged with lint, it will cause the dryer overheat and result in a rapidly spreading fire. Other causes of dryer fires include poorly installed dryer vent systems, inferior dryer duct material, and drying rags soaked with flammable substances such as gas, oil, paint thinner and some cleaning chemicals. These rags should be line dried, even if they have been washed, because combustible residue can remain and the heat from the dryer can cause the materials to ignite inside your dryer.

Your dryer will let you know when air flow is compromised. Here are some warning signs to watch for:

Clothes taking more than one cycle to dry, especially jeans and towels, is the most common sign of restricted air flow

No visible lint on the lint filter after a cycle

Clothes have a moldy smell after a dry cycle.

Clothes are very hot after a dry cycle

The top of your dryer is hot to the touch while it’s running

Excess lint left on clothing when dry

Here are some maintenance tips to prevent dryer fires and improve dryer efficiency:

Clean the lint screen after every load to maintain air flow needed by your clothes dryer to work more efficiently, saving you money on utility bills and preventing a fire.

Wash the lint screen periodically to remove residue build-up caused by dryer sheets.

Do not place rags soaked in flammable substances in your dryer; these should be line dried.

Do not store flammable chemicals or combustible materials such as cardboard boxes or newspapers near the dryer. These items may not be the direct cause of a fire, but should a fire occur, they will provide ample fuel to feed the flames.

Do not go to sleep or leave the home when the dryer is running

Have a qualified dryer exhaust specialist clean your dryer vent system at least once a year, more often if you have a large family and are doing over 8 loads of laundry per week.

90 percent of all appliance fires are dryer related. Clogged dryer vents cause your dryer to run hotter and longer. Improper venting will kill your dryer and create an enormous amount of dust. Excess heat created by poorly vented dryers will ruin your clothes. Dryer vent cleaning will improve the air quality in your home, prolong the life of your appliance, eliminate a fire hazard and reduce energy consumption. All this being said, the fee for dryer vent cleaning will quickly pay for itself in energy savings and fire prevention.

Joe Enzenberger of Dryer Vent Wizard, provides Dryer vent cleaning, dryer vent repair, dryer vent installation and safety inspections for homes and businesses in Illinois Counties of Cook, Dupage, Grundy, Kankakee, Kendall, and Will, including Naperville, Downers Grove, Orland Park, Tinley Park, Willowbrook, Burr Ridge, Bolingbrook, New Lenox, Joliet and neighboring cities and communities.